Sunday, June 26, 2011

Quick-As-A-Whink Biscuits


Quick-As-A-Wink biscuits. The name is very intriguing isn't it?

It should be. These biscuits have a secret ingredient that makes them incredibly light & moist. You may turn your nose up when you find out what it is, but as I always say...trust me. I have yet to steer you wrong & I promise I will not this time.

I discovered this recipe one morning in a cookbook I had that was a compilation of recipes printed in the Southern Almanac over the course of a year. I was really craving biscuits & since I'm not usually one for baking, especially when it involves alot of mixing & all that stuff, I wanted something simple that wouldn't take much time. I hit the jackpot with this recipe.

I have used it several times since, one time I mixed in cheddar cheese & crumbled bacon & fresh ground pepper. Another time I added sausage & cheese & yet another I added chives & cheese.

Have I ever mentioned I like cheese? No? Hmmm, funny, because I love it. But this post & recipe doesn't have anything to do with cheese, this time anyway.

Back to the recipe.

I swear you can't get simpler than this & PLEASE do not let the ingredients turn you off, these biscuits are delicious & as the name says quick-as-a-wink.


You'll use 2 cups of self-rising flour. Dump that in your mixing bowl.

You'll also use 1 cup of milk, but the picture I took of that didn't turn out, so you just have to use your imagination as to what that looks like being poured in the bowl.






Here it is...the secret ingredient. Mayonnaise. You'll use 3/4 cups of mayo. Using mayonnaise eliminates using shortening. Plus the mayo is much easier to work with & keeps you from having to work so hard to get really good biscuits.



Add the mayo to the flour & milk.



Stir those ingredients together until they resemble this. The mixture will be sticky & fairly loose. It will not be as firm as normal biscuit mix.



Which is why you will use your muffin tin for this recipe. Be sure to spray the muffin tin with non-stick spray.





I made 6 large biscuits from this recipe, you could probably get 8 out of it if you didn't fill the cups as full as I did. I just like nice big biscuits, but do what you like.  








Fill your muffin tins with the biscuit mixture. Again, I over-fill them, it makes a nice almost crunchy top on the biscuit. They will get a little more brown on top too, compared to what biscuits normally do.
You'll bake them at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.



When you pull them from the oven you'll have light, fluffy & delicious biscuits that were made quick-as-a-wink.



They go great with country sausage gravy too. Stay tuned for that recipe later in the week.

Hope you enjoy them!

Quick-As-A-Wink Biscuits
makes 6-8 biscuits

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup milk
3/4 mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix all ingredients until blended well. Grease a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Spoon biscuit mixture into muffin tin. Fill each cup slightly over full for 6 months & just level for 8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. These were SO good. I never have any luck at homemade biscuits. They usually turn out like rocks.
    These turned out so moist. I would have never guessed that mayonnaise would save the day, but it did!
    I was so proud of them!

    ReplyDelete