Sunday, February 13, 2011

French Toast

Mmmmmm, french toast. We at the Gone With the Whisk household love french toast in general, but especially this french toast.

My boyfriends niece, who I might as well call my niece too, told me not so long ago that it was the best french toast she'd ever had.

And I believe her.

That's quite a compliment coming from her because she's 8 years old & 8 year olds know good french toast. Plus, this eight year old speaks her mind, no holds barred. She also told me, her dad & his girlfriend once that she knew why we liked to hang out with her...because she's a fun girl.

See, she knows what she's talking about. I love that kid!

Here's my french toast story. When I was a wee-little thing it was always a special treat to have french toast. I think it made me feel fancy. So when we would go out for breakfast I would usually order french toast...because I like to look fancy.

I remember one time in particular we took our first trip to Disney World, I was about 17 & my brother & I went with my dad & my stepmother. Our last full day there, the boys (my dad & brother) and the girls (me & my stepmom) went our separate ways. Us girls decided to go eat breakfast somewhere nice which happened to be a cute little restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. We looked over the menu & I immediately saw french toast & knew this was what I wanted. When it arrived at the table, it looked beautiful & delicious & all fancy with it's powdered sugar, strawberry slices & mint leaves. Ever since that moment every time I eat french toast whether it's in my pajamas from a paper plate, french toast sticks from Burger King or somewhere really nice, I think about that.

Okay, I've bored you enough with personal stories. I know all you're really interested in is what happened this time.

So here we go.

Oh wait! One more quick story. My boyfriend, the Hunk (my mother actually gave him that name) loves french toast too, it reminds him of his childhood as well. But he said it didn't make him feel fancy, he just liked it & still does.

Men...boys...gotta love their simplicity.

Okay, french toast here we come.

I use french bread for this. I find it holds up better to the soaking up of the eggs & milk. It also just taste really good & looks a little fancier, especially cut on the diagonal. In addition I also used eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract & just a pinch of salt. Sorry I forgot to include the pinch of salt in the picture.

The salt really makes a difference, trust me on this, I'm a professional. Well, okay, not quite, but almost. Okay, not even almost. Just trust me.


First, in a shallow dish, whisk your eggs fairly well.


Then add your milk, cinnamon, vanilla & salt & whisk some more.


Your mixture should look something like this. The cinnamon has a tendency to settle so I suggest whisking between bread dips.


Using a frying pan or skillet or griddle, whatever blows your skirt up, melt a good pat of butter over medium heat. While that is melting...

Take a slice of your bread & lay it in the egg & milk mixture, press it down a little to help soak up the liquid & move it around some to kind of get the sides coated.


Then flip it over & do the same press down, move it around thing again. Lift it out of the liquid mixture & let just a little of the egg & milk drain off, just so it doesn't drip too much when you...


 ...transfer it to the skillet. Repeat these steps with all, in this case, four slices of bread.

Brown each slice for about 2-3 mins.

Flip the bread over & brown the other side for 2-3 mins. Each side should be a golden brown.

I will admit that sometimes I get wrapped up in the pressing down, moving around & transferring to the skillet & forget to flip the slices I put in first. If you do that too it's okay, they'll be a little more brown but will taste just fine.

When you are done you have lovely, delicious french toast.

Garnish with your favorite syrup & a little powdered sugar if you like. Serve this to your honey on Valentine's Day morning for breakfast in bed.

French Toast

4 Slices French Bread, cut almost an inch thick & sliced on the diagnol
2 Eggs
1/2 cup of millk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Melt a pat of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk eggs in a shallow dish. Add milk, vanilla, cinnamon & salt whisking until well blended. Dredge one slice of bread in the egg mixture, being sure the bread is completely coated. Flip bread over & coat the other side. Remove bread from egg mixture allowing just a little of the liquid to drain from the bread. Place bread in skillet. Repeat the dredging with each slice of bread. Brown for 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve hot with syrup.


1 comment:

  1. Casey sent me here. Thought I'd share the french toast recipe we use. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-toast-recipe/index.html. Next time we'll try your ingredients, and bake it.

    ReplyDelete